Monday, May 7, 2012

Pregnancy complications

It has been awhile since I have posted! Life with three little ones seems to be too busy for blogging. But life has all of a sudden forced me to slow down. Bed rest. It is something people often dream about. Lying in bed, having people do all your work, serve you, take care of you, while you relax and enjoy life. Sounds great, doesn't it? Maybe for a day or two. Let me tell you that it is no fun. I spent 12 excruciating long days on bed rest in the hospital just before the twins were born and I am trying to avoid having to do that again. The trouble is that my body is behaving just as it did when I was pregnant with them. They call it cervical insufficiency. Basically my cervix can't handle the weight of a growing baby, which causes it to thin (and possibly dilate) before the baby is ready. Ashlyn and Caelan were born at 26 weeks (or exactly 6 months) gestation and had to spend the next 4 months in an incubator before I could take them home. I am currently at 24 weeks with this baby and am more than 50% effaced. My last ultrasound showed my cervix at 18mm, where it was 35mm a few weeks before. I am officially on modified bed rest and not allowed to work, lift anything, do much of anything. The kids are struggling with not understanding why Mommy can't help them with everything and Mommy is struggling with guilt when she has to keep telling them "I can't". Daddy has been amazing at filling in the gaps though. I am certainly farther ahead of the game this time around. There is only one baby, I am being closely monitored, I am not yet dilated and I am not in the hospital. all great things! Prayers are always appreciated though, as I am nervous about another early delivery.

1 comment:

  1. Marsalie, just noticed you updated!! Congratulations, I didn't know you were pregnant!! Wow, what a tough, tough situation to be in, especially because you have 3 kiddos already. Thankfully this is just a short time of their lives and in just a few more months you can be the mom you want to be again. We will be praying for you and babe and your cervix and that babe will stay in there as long as possible. So thankful for great care that you are getting.

    ReplyDelete